Thursday, August 5, 2010

Recycled Tank+TOMS+Leftover Fabric

Many of you might know about my love of TOMS Shoes. I'll save the details for another post, but for every pair of shoes purchased, they give a pair to a child in need. I also interned there for a semester. After quite a bit of wear, I was getting tired of my black wrap boots, and decided to cut the wrap off and turn them into booties. So a couple of long ace bandage-like pieces of elastic have been hanging around, looking sad, and waiting for another life.

Here's the wrap boots if you're not familiar:

I also had a tank top where the hem had started to unravel, and had shrunk up to be too short to wear in public. The missing piece of the puzzle was about 1 1/2 yards of fabric leftover from this romper. I didn't want to make a whole dress out of it, since it would be pretty close to the romper, and quite frankly, I was looking for easy, patternless sewing. This is what I came up with:

I cut the fabric up the middle fold to form a front and back, hemmed it, gathered the top to attach to the elastic, and then attached the elastic to the tank at the waist. I even put some sneaky pockets in at the side seam. Probably took me about an hour. A super-cute way to up-cycle some pieces I had laying around! Maybe I can post a tutorial for this later??? Would any of you be interested in that??

No comments:

Post a Comment