Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Plaid Flannel Wiksten Tova Top

There are many enviable versions of the Wiksten Tova Top out there on the web.  (See Wiksten Flickr group here)  I have had this pattern (along with the tank pattern) for awhile now, and with the cooler weather, I finally decided it couldn't wait any longer.  I needed to make it in plaid flannel!  

I was originally making the dress version, but then I chopped it off after trying it on.  The crazy colorful plaid I picked was a little much in allover dress form!  Here it is:


(That's Tigger on the shelf behind me.  He loves a good photo-bomb opportunity.)

I made a couple of minor changes to the pattern.  To show off the design lines on front, I decided to cut the bib section on the bias.  Since I did this, I also decided that that section needed interfacing, along with the placket.  What happened when I tried it on, though, is that it was stiff and looked too "buttoned up," even in the absence of real closures.  I remedied this by pinching a dart out beside the placket to make the neckline more V-shaped.  This worked, but I think if I made it again, I would use a fabric with no real wrong side, because my interfacing sort of shows if the top gaps.  Or, you could do a double layer on the bib, so that it would not be an issue.  I'm hoping to make it again in more of a floaty cotton, and I think that will change the look of the neckline.

I'm still happy with the final product, even though some changes had to be made.  It's a great casual top to throw on with jeans and boots!

I have also uploaded a review to Pattern Review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment