Friday, February 1, 2013

A Handmade Yarn Swift From My Sweetie

I hinted at a handmade gift that needed to be shown off, that I received from my husband.  We have been trying to do handmade gifts for each other, and as many people on our list for the last couple of years.  This year we got close (all but one!).  Matt does woodworking, so at my request, he made me a yarn swift.  I'm pretty sure it was made with love, but also with the desire to not have to help me wind yarn balls anymore ;)


I love how it turned out, and it works really well.  The base is made from Walnut, and the arms are from Maple.  Matt looked up some plans online, and then winged it from there.  The pieces are basically scraps leftover from the cutting boards he was making for gifts, so we got by making it pretty cheap.  I think in the $20-$30 range.  The pegs are just pieces of dowels, that can be replaced if they get stained from the dyes in the yarn.

Tigger was intrigued:
 

Here's a closeup where you can see the finish, and how lovely it looks with some yarn on it!  I really love that he made me something I will use all the time!  If I can get some photographs of his sweater, you'll get to see what I made him next!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment