Saturday, February 9, 2013

Slouchy Hat {The Amstel Hat}

I love a good hat, and I love a good magazine.  When the Fall 2012 Issue of Interweave Knits came out, I knew immediately I would want to make the Amstel Hat.  I could have gotten creative and even changed the color, but I liked how it looked in the magazine so well that I did not stray.  It's made from a different yarn, but I found a colorway pretty close to the same one used.


It is about the perfect amount of slouch for me, and I really enjoyed knitting top-down for a change.  Every hat I've made before this one has been bottom-up.  It's also the first time I've knit from a chart, and I found it to be very addictive.  I finished this thing in 5 days because every time I sat down to work on it, I kept saying "just one more row" to see how the pattern was coming along.  

The only thing I don't love is how the shaping ended up, since the increases were paired to accommodate the chart.  It makes it kind of have 4 points on top, even after I blocked it over a plate.  Oh well, I still love it, and I did this miraculous elastic bind off to keep it from being too tight at the band edge.  This has become my go-to method to avoid a tight bind off edge.  Here is a closer picture showing the chart detail:


Love it!  Subtle, but beautiful details :)
Here is the Ravelry page!

No comments:

Post a Comment