Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Black basic Dress

I've been needing to make some more basics for my wardrobe, because I tend to gravitate towards fun crazy prints that go with nothing (imagine that!). This dress is an attempt at that, and after a few alterations I'm very happy with it. It started with Simplicity 3835 and some fabric that was given to me that is maybe a silk crepe. Very nice stuff that resists wrinkles pretty well.


After trying it on, I the fit was really good (the dress form is smaller than me, so it hangs a little more on her), and I loved the pockets. The sleeves had a cute tie detail, but were a little snug. I was too lazy to re-do them, plus my husband said it was a little too much black, and I looked like a nun (not exactly a compliment?). I decided to shorten them to cap sleeves, and here's the after:


I think it turned out really well, and will be a great addition to my wardrobe for work, and I can jazz it up with colorful accessories. A great Little Black Dress. If I make it again in a fun print, I'll try to attempt the tie sleeves again!

No comments:

Post a Comment