Friday, September 9, 2011

Flashback Fridays: Better Homes & Gardens Sewing Book

It's Flashback Friday time!

I think this is a fun one, because I was lucky enough to receive a gift that I can feature for this week. My parents went on a little trip in Missouri wine country and happened upon this book for a steal....$3! They thought of me, of course, and brought it home to live in my sewing space. Thanks Mom & Dad!

The book is a Better Homes & Gardens Sewing book, with copyright dates of 1961, and 1970. I was already familiar with the BH&G Cookbooks because I have a current copy, and my mom has a couple of versions. The sewing book was not familiar to me, and I have really enjoyed looking through it, and anticipate it will make a great (even if dated) reference.

The front cover:


The title page and inside cover art. Look at that stylish sewing space!


The contents page. I love that it has tabbed dividers to make it easy to find the section you're looking for:


One of my favorite finds so far is Chapter 16, about Wardrobe Planning. The illustrations are fabulous!


I love this spread from the same chapter. It gives styling options for the same outfit. So awesome!


The other wonderful thing about vintage books like this is leftover reminders of the previous owner. This book was apparently given to a granddaughter on Christmas Eve 1971.


And of course the back cover expounding on the techniques to be learned from this book. I'm sold!


Overall, this was a great find to credit to my parents, and I am excited to take more time to investigate each chapter. The book is in excellent shape for used, which makes me extra happy. Hope you enjoyed the highlights I shared! Do you have any favorite sewing references???

No comments:

Post a Comment