Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Change of Plans, and a New Skirt

If you were following along for my Summer Sewing Plans post, you saw that I had several projects lined up and ready to cut out. I had two linen-blend fabrics, one a brown and white that I said was going to be a skirt, and a turquoise and brown that was going to be the bottom half of a dress. Well, when I got ready to cut things, I changed it all around! I decided I had enough of the other fabric for the dress to make it all one print, and that the turquoise and brown would make a more interesting skirt, since the pattern is pretty simple. That means the brown and white has made it's way back to "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up" land. haha.

So this skirt is based on a Cynthia Rowley pattern, Simplicity 2215. I'm not sure if I even like the dress from the pattern, but I picked it up on sale because I didn't have a good pleated skirt pattern. Following my EmersonMade inspired shirt, and the iron burns left behind from hand pleating, I wanted to make something mind-numbingly easy. This pretty much fit the bill. I did learn how to install a zipper in the same seam as a pocket in this skirt, which was something I'd been resistant to before, but went ahead with for this one. I did find it comical that the pleats are rather hap-hazard and the pattern feels the need to warn you with the following:

"Note: Designer's Touch: Pleats are not evenly spaced or folded."

LOL..soooooo I guess uneven pleats make a designer garment???


I quite like the finished garment and it's the perfect weight to stay cool the rest of the summer because at 104 degrees, it's necessary to dress light! I'm excited to wear it to the Art walk this weekend that my husband is required to take me to, since I played softball last weekend in the heat :) Now I just have to figure out what to do with that other linen!

No comments:

Post a Comment