Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Sewing Plans

I have 3 more tops I'm working on, and then I will have to start cutting out projects again. The tracing & cutting patterns, laying out fabric, and cutting fabric step of the sewing process is probably my least favorite. I prefer the actual construction part. What I do is take a day and cut out several projects so then they are just ready to sew. It works pretty well for me, and then I can clip along at a pretty good pace when I'm actually sewing. Here are some projects I have lined up to cut out next!

This first one is another linen blend that I'm going to use to make the full skirt from this Cynthia Rowley pattern. I thought about making another pair of shorts, but this is almost the same fabric as the Crazy Green Shorts.


So for shorts, I am doing a solid....gasp! Yes, a solid. Haha I'm really a big fan of prints, but they can't go with everything, so I'm going to do another version of these shorts in this cotton twill. They are still a bright color, though, so far from a basic!


Then I'm going to do the dress from this Suede Says pattern (the view on the right). I questioned doing the romper, but I think this one is a little edgy for me. I'm doing the cotton lawn on the left for the top, and the linen blend on the right for the skirt portion. I hope it works ok, but I don't have enough linen to do the whole thing, and the cotton is a little too lightweight for a skirt. We'll see, but I think it has the potential to look pretty cute, because the colors are exactly the same, just a different scale on the prints. I'll probably have leftover in the cotton, so I might make another Pendrell with that.


Next up is a summery tunic. I haven't decided which view I'm doing yet, but I'm doing the pink print on the right as the body, and the brown on the left as the contrast yoke. The pattern envelope shows them all as the same fabric but I think it will be a much more interesting design detail with the contrast.


Then a DKNY pattern with a blue/white stripe seersucker. Similar to the pattern envelope. Why mess up a good thing?


Here's where it gets crazy....a romper. Yes, a romper. I'm doing the wrap top version with the shorts. I think it has potential for cuteness, but could be risky. We'll see how this one goes. The fabric is a poly knit, so if it turns out, this would be a great piece for travel because it won't wrinkle. Not that I have a lot of travel coming up....lol


The next is a Lisette pattern in a cotton broadcloth. The print is really fun and reminds me of spirographs. Remember those things??? I loved them! So it's just a basic shirt dress with some cute pockets. Will be great for casual or work, I think.


This one looks boring but you'll have to stay tuned because I have some fun ideas for embellishment. It is a grey chambray, and I'm making it up in the Anda pattern which I have made before. I will definitely make it longer this time, because after washing, the other one is questionably short for work. It's ok for the summer, but only ok with tights for work.


Last but not least, (for now) another top. This one is going to be a blue chambray, and I'm trying to make it like J.Crew's popover on the right. I think I'll start with the thrifted vintage pattern on the left, but I'll have to make some alterations. This one could be tricky, but I think will be fun to work on. I'm looking forward to re-creating the entire look from that catalog page actually, since I have a grey skirt now, and some Chucks. :)

So that's all for now! Tomorrow I will hopefully have the top finished that I am working on, using a vintage pattern. Friday I'm thinking of starting a new series with photos from the past....what do you think? Anyone want to see pics of high-school age Sasha looking like a dork in things she made? It could be a winner....lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment