Thursday, August 11, 2011

The long (torso) and short (skirt) of it....

So one thing I really enjoy about blogging is showing off finished projects that turned out great. It's wonderful showing them to a community (online) that gets what goes into a handmade item of clothing, and saves my family from me excessively blubbering on about seam finishes, facings and who knows what else.

But I'm a real person. And sometimes those well-intended projects do not go so great.....

Exhibit A:


I loved so many things about the idea of this dress (pattern is Simplicity 2222). The pockets, the racerback, my idea to add piping. I had even considered making this one a romper, but figured maybe I'd just try it in a dress first to check the fit, since my first romper went well. (and again....how many rompers could one person need?) This would make a very good case for muslins, because I prefer not to do them unless it is for a special occasion. If I would have done it on this one, I would have saved cutting into the pretty brown/turquoise print cotton fabric.

I started out by lengthening the skirt of the pattern because it barely looked like it would cover a 13-year-old's rear end, let alone mine. I should have just faced facts, though, the drop-waisted silhouette is just not good on my pear-shaped body. Add to that, the top is waaaaaay long in the torso, and too blousy. Not flattering. I tried taking it in a pinch on the sides....no luck.

So honestly, it's not like it's a total lost cause. I made my mom try it on, because she is taller than me, but apparently that doesn't matter. The torso still looks like it's made for a giant. She politely declined and then I started considering the other options. I could take it apart at the waist and try to shorten it?

Let's face it. I'm lazy. I love sewing, but I don't love altering. I'm thinking I might just chop it off into a sleeveless button up. What do you think? Should I try to salvage the dress, or just give up and turn it into a top???

No comments:

Post a Comment