Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Self-Stitched Inventory

The Self-Stitched September Challenge starts tomorrow, so I thought I'd do a little recap of what I have to work with. Wow! Seeing it all at once reminds me it has been a busy sewing year. I really just picked the hobby back up last July, so I'm really impressed with what I've cranked out in that time frame. Here is the breakdown:

5 knit tops or tees. This will be interesting, because I tend to live in t-shirts on the weekend. We'll see how many repeats I end up with from this category.


13 Woven tops....wow! This is one area of my wardrobe I recently vowed to beef up, and I think I have been successful. I guess you could say this was the summer of the tops. I'm really pleased with this because this is the area I seem to have the most trouble shopping for in RTW because everything seems so boring or ill-fitting.


6 skirts, and 1 pair of shorts. No pants. I have made pants before, but not recently. I do have several pairs of RTW that will be mixed in with the tops. Not really an area that I felt like I needed to add to, because I already had plenty of pants. The skirts are an improvement, though, as I really like wearing them, but found out last fall that I had very few in my wardrobe.


3 woven dresses, and 6 knit dresses. A good mix I think.


And the oddballs: 1 scarf/wrap/vest thing, 1 sad looking linen jacket, 1 sweater, and 1 romper. Not sure that jacket will get worn without some major work. It was made in my college sewing course, and looked lovely...until I washed it. My bad. Should have pre-washed the fabric, or dry-cleaned the final product. At that time I didn't know any better.

So the total count is.....37 handmade garments!!! That means I have made 32 garments since this time last year. Holy Cow! I really think this blog has encouraged me to keep up with a hobby I love so much, and document my progress. I think this will be a great Self-Stitched September with plenty of variety, and even some fully handmade outfits. The other thing I'm really excited about is that most of these clothes feel more "me" than anything else has in a long time. Now let's hope I can keep up with the daily photos! I think I'll just post those once or twice a week so it doesn't dominate this space too much.

Who else is participating in Self-Stitched September???

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about it but I really don't have the wardrobe for it... I'm trying to sew fewer dresses and more separates :) But dresses are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same problem, that's why I had to commit to sewing tops this summer! Dresses are fun because they are a whole outfit to themselves!

    ReplyDelete