Saturday, August 6, 2011

Romper Inspired by DVF

I am a HUGE fan of Diane vonFurstenberg's work. I love her aesthetic, her chic, carefree clothes, and also how her clothes flatter the female figure. Add to that a super-inspiring American storybook life, and the iconic wrap dress, and I'm a devout follower. I have sewn my own version of the wrap dress here, and plan to make another in the fall. I'm also the proud owner of a DVF vintage re-make that I'll have to feature someday (maybe on Flashback Friday??).

So when I catch up on the latest runway shows, hers is always at the top of the list. I haven't been able to get this look out of my head since the Resort 2011 collection came out:


(image, Style.com)
I already knew at some point this summer, I wanted to make a romper, and this was the perfect starting point for inspiration. I ran into a graphic chevron print knit, and McCall's 6083 pattern and the rest is history.


I wouldn't say I used my A+ construction skills on this one, because let's be honest....It's not going to become a staple in my wardrobe. I do love how it turned out, and I'm ok with the fact that I didn't hem the bottom, and my stitches on the snap at bust might come out in 3 wears. This is fast fashion, and there's a chance this is the only season I will be able to wear it anyway, so it's no big deal. I do love how comfy it is and I'm already scheming in my head of a way to make a fall version, maybe similar to Sherry's or her inspiration. I love the one-piece ease of the whole thing, and the fact that it doesn't wrinkle is a huge plus. I can see this being something awesome to take on a tropical vacation (if I had something like that going on...which I don't lol)

A couple of notes about the picture.....
Yes, I am making a weird face because my husband was in a hurry.
Yes, that is a cat in the bottom of the photo. Percy, our outdoor kitty.
Yes, my legs are always that white even after a week at the lake. SPF 85 people.
No, you cannot have my backyard :)

No comments:

Post a Comment